Music theory teaches the vocabulary, grammar, and literature of musical languages. Even fluent native speakers of a language can benefit greatly from learning its grammar, expanding their knowlege of its vocabulary. The study of musical theory can help musicians play better, as well as deriving greater pleasure from the performances of others.
We are going according to the syllabus requirements of the Royal School of Music, London. The theory classes in effect will prepare students to pass ABRSM music theory exams.
For the very basic level, students learn to read music, and expression markings, and other elementary knowledge such as key and time signatures.
More advanced levels teach theory of harmony and music history.
We offer four levels of music theory, and structure classes based on ABRSM's sylabus (Associated Board of the Royal Schools of Music, London).
- Level 1 covers ABRSM theory requirements for grade 1 and 2
- Level 2 covers ABRSM theory requirements for grade 3 and 4
- Level 3 covers ABRSM theory requirements for grade 5 and 6
- Level 4 covers ABRSM theory requirements for grade 7 and 8
Upon completion of each level, students are expected to be able to pass the correspoding grade theory exam should they choose to get the certification from ABRSM.
- Saturdays, 2:00pm - 3:00pm (starting Jan 26th) or Tuesdays, 5:30pm - 6:30pm (starting Jan 29th)
- Level 1
- Duration: 60 minutes
- Ages: all ages
- Pricing: Free for all students enrolled at HBSM
We are unable to give refunds or credits for missed classes