Spring mini-recital - Apr 19, 2023
Revantha de Silva
Ellie Spring Pobiega
Frequently asked questions
Huntington Beach School of Music offers numerous performance opportunities for students during the year (at least 6 recitals per year). This is the list of recitals of the year and dates.
We encourage students to participate in the recitals as the recital preparation process is a valuable experience.
In-house mini recitals - no cost
- These mini-recitals are a wonderful opportunity to get additional performance opportunities in a warm and supportive setting. We usually have a few to a dozen short performances and we are able to provide piano accompaniment for our student performers.
- Our in-house mini recitals are also a good way to introduce young students to performing in a smaller group setting. Students and families are also encouraged to come out and listen – performing is optional. These recitals are usually 50 minutes long followed by refreshments and socialization. It is also a nice way to meet other students, families and faculty.
Musical evenings for adult students - no cost
- At Huntington Beach School of Music, we love to bring people together, foster the joy of music making in its simplicity, and create a sense of community through shared musical experiences. We invite all adult performers, their friends and families, to our Evenings of Music. You are welcome to participate whether or not you are a student at the school.
- Recitals boost confidence! Taking part in a recital helps performers to overcome shyness, fear, anxiety and stage fright. It gives students a chance to showcase all of their hard work, dedication, and progress throughout the year. As children experience getting on stage, performing for an audience, and being applauded for their efforts, they gain self-confidence that will carry with them in all aspects of school and life.
- We have 2 big annual recitals every year, our Annual Recital in the Summer and a Winter Recital at the end of the year to showcase our students' progress. Students will also receive a trophy at the annual recitals.
Please ask your teacher (or front desk staff) to register your name for the recital. Or you can sign up via student portal.
Your teacher will help you with performance piece. Please limit performance to maximum 5 minutes. However, we will accept some exceptions based on the teacher's recommendation if the performance has to go a little over the time limit.
For virtual recital, videos will be available for viewing and audience voting on the recital's planned date.
You only need to have a Facebook account to be able to vote. Just click or tap on the Like button. You can 'like' more than one performance.
If you're a HBSM teacher, you should see buttons to judge a video. If you don't see these buttons, please log in to the teacher portal and come back to this page.
There any rewards for some recitals. The winner will be selected at the end of two weeks after the recital date. If there are multiple performances with the same highest number of likes, we will select one randomly for the reward. We will be giving four Amazon $50 gift card awards, for the following categories. The winner(s) will be posted on the school's website. We will also contact and email the gift card to the family.
- Best musical performance - judged by HB School of Music teachers
- Musically and stylistically performed
- Displaying contrasting and variety of emotions
- Best technical performance - judged by HB School of Music teachers
- Display of good technical competency
- Good execution of technically difficult works/passages
- Level of difficulty for the work performed
- Employing a good variety of techniques appropriate to the music
- Best production - judged by HB School of Music teachers
- Appropriate for the theme of this recital (Father’s Day or World Music Day)
- Recording quality
- Presentation and creativity
- Extra points for group performances (duet/trio, etc.)
- Most voted - voted by friends and families
- The most liked video by peers, friends and family through Facebook